I’m often asked by new and experienced teachers about what they can do to start the year right.
One answer comes to mind that can make or break your year: music class procedures.
Never underestimate how critical this is. I don’t trust myself to just remember everything, so I have this comprehensive list to help me remember what I need to teach.
So I talked about this a little bit a few weeks ago with my Back to School To-Do List post, but now I’m trying to make sure I’ve got everything in place for what is sure to be an interesting year.
The Giant List Of Music Class Procedures
Here’s a big list of things to put in a procedure list that I need. Some of this is for ensembles too!
- Coming in the room
- Coming to class prepared
- Music rules
- Teacher signals
- Hand washing
- Materials pass out
- Collecting materials
- Seating chart
- Music room jobs
- Sanitizing for the kids
- Sanitizing yourself after each class
- What you need to wipe after each class
- Anything shared
- Your board/whiteboard
- Your keyboard/iPad
- Bathroom passes—(are we even using these?!)
- Office passes/swipe badges
- Fire drills
- Tornado drills
- Lockdown drills
- Where to put things the kids bring with them (non-shared materials)
- Line up
- Instrument sanitizing
- Music pass out
- Not getting your way/what you want
- Transitions between formations (circle, seats, dancing sets)
- Turning in assignments
- Any online systems – SeeSaw, Google Classroom, Canvas, Sight-reading Factory, Flipgrid, SmartMusic
- Early finishers
- Sharpening pencils
- When to ask questions
- Absent work
- Choosing partners
- Clean up
- Individuals leaving the room – leaving for the day, going to another place and not coming back, etc
- If you can’t remember your spot in the seating chart
- Notification of concert dates, important info, etc
For Ensembles Only
- Instrument pass out
- Instrument storage lockers
- Uniform checkin/out – if you have them.
- Instrument assignments
- What you need at your space/stand
- Personal instrument sanitizing
- Where to put your tech
- Reeds, cork grease, valve oil, slide grease and when to use/replace/prepare at your seat
- Percussion containment (where do all the things go?)
This year I feel like there are SO MANY THINGS that I made a checklist to go over all the procedures. Go snag this editable checklist for free!
What music class procedures do you do that I missed?
I hope my big list has been helpful!